What’s in a name?



Roseann Letitia, I know I was named after my Great Grandmother  Roseann and my Mother, Letitia.

Roseann – it is of English origin first used in the 18th Century and a combination of Rose and Ann – well that’s what Google says!

Letitia - it is a feminine name derived from the Latin term "Laetus" meaning "happy".  


Where it all started was with my Great Grandmother Roseann (Rosanna) who immigrated as a 2 year old in 1856 from Ireland to Australia on the Lady MacDonald with her parents, John and Ann MORRIS, sister Ellen 9, and brother Timothy 12.  She died on 22 March 1921 in Warwick at the age of 69 years and is buried in the Warwick Cemetery. 

Roseann MORRIS married Patrick MITCHELL on 18 Feb 1874 at St Marys Roman Catholic Church in Warwick and gave birth to 16 children.  They lived most of their lives in Emu Vale and Swan Fells area. 

Roseann was 65 when she lost her son Maurice Henry in the First World War in 1918 and is buried in the Villers-Bretonneux  Cemetery.  I along with my descendants have had the privilege to visit his grave and pay respect. To my knowledge all her children moved away from the Warwick district except for Owen, Timothy, Theresa.  Her eldest daughter moved to Rhode Island in America, her daughter Roseann moved to Victoria and Western Australia and later returned to Bendigo where her descendants still reside. 
Roseann MITCHELL nee MORRIS
Obituary of my Great Grandmother Roseann Mitchell
Source: Warwick Daily News (Qld. : 1919 -1954), Saturday 2 April 1921, page 4








My mother Letitia MITCHELL was born on 6 July 1926 and died on 26 Dec 2008.  
My Mother and I at Warwick c1964





My Mother Letitia 






My Mothers sister, Roseann MITCHELL was born on 22 July 1923 at Tannymorel to Owen Patrick MITCHELL and Adele Mary CARNEY.  Roseann died on 7 April 1924 at the age of 8 months 16 days. 









The name Roseann & Letitia has come down the generations many times. I am proud and thankful to share my title with these amazing women. 

No comments:

Post a Comment