Stella Maud Buckland, nee Mitchell. 1 Dec 1920 - 30 Nov 2018

Today I had to enter a fact into my family history database and it broke my heart. 
Roseann and Aunty Maud at her 95th birthday in 2015

You see today is supposed to be one of joy and celebration.  My beautiful Aunt was turning 98.  I had some precious time with her only 5 weeks ago and she was fantastic.  Her mind was sharp as she recalled many stories of her past.  Her smile was infectious and she was joking around as she usually does with her very great sense of humour. 

The thought did cross my mind at the time of “will I see this beautiful soul again”?  As we progress through life the older we get we do actually think of this more often.  Why is that?  Is it because we are vulnerable and know that we all have an expiry date?  Yes, I do believe that is the case!  We just don’t want to talk about the loss, we condition ourselves to work through life as it is thrown at us.  We cannot live in fear of the unknown and what is out of our control, we must live for the now and create the most precious memories we can.  But silently we cannot help but let these thoughts creep into our minds from time to time. 

9 years and 11 months ago I had to say goodbye to my Mother.  She was one 16 children and yes, I will admit I do cling to memories that are within my heart, it’s what keeps me going.  And here I am today on 1 Dec 2018 finding myself grieving for my Mothers sister and my beautiful Aunt and her family.   Last night the Angels called her home just hours short of her 98th birthday. 

This brings back the emotions of my own loss and knowing what my siblings and I had to endure at the time and knowing that my cousins are now faced with this event and have to work through another chapter of their lives.  As I was growing up I never really stopped to think of how my parents coped with loss, they both seemed to have it all together.  I never knew my grandparents on my Mother side.  Grandma Mitchell died long before I was born and I was only 2 when Grandfather Mitchell died.  I was 15 and 25 when I lost my paternal grandparents, and yes it was sad at the time but I don’t believe I really understood what my father was going through at the time.  It was just before I was 25 that I had commenced my family history and I was starting to realise for the first time what this “life” journey was about!

Back to my lovely Aunt.  This lady was and will always be very close to my heart, as I recall the memories of my childhood and her visits to our home.  She would always, and I mean she never ever missed bring me a bag of lollies on each visit except for one occasion she gave me a dollar and said “go around the shops and buy some lollies to share”.  I would have been no more than 7 or 8 years old.  In those days, you could get 5 snakes or red frogs for 1 cent!!  I would return home with this enormous brown paper bag full of lollies and was happy.  Until the lolly police arrived and confiscated the bag!  Mum would then issue a couple of lollies a day to us kids!  There are many, many more memories that I hold dear but this one is my favourite.  You see, even as an adult I would visit her at her home in Toowoomba and when she knew we were coming she would always have a bag of lollies for me! 

My message and reminder to myself today is that Life is precious, we will never get this moment of time back…EVER.  Sit with your loved ones, listen to them, take the photos and videos, hold their hand and gently care for them, capture and cherish your time with each and every person who comes into your lives, friends included. 

May you rest in peace Stella Maud Buckland, nee Mitchell.  Until I see you again .. I hope they have lollies in heaven!! If not I'll settle for a huge hug 💝 Love you forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment